Crosby!

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Getting here


I've been up for 7.5 straight hours today, so it has been difficult to get down and have some time to do a post. Whew! I guess I haven't read that part of the baby book that says newborns are supposed to only be active for 1 out of every 10 hours.


Now the story of how I ended up here - the condensed version. Mom was having small contractions starting last Saturday evening (the 4th of March). She woke dad up at about 1:30, and they started timing the contractions. At about 2am Sunday morning, the contractions were steady at about 1 minute long, separated by 5 minutes. Since we weren't in any hurry to get to the hospital, we stayed in bed until about 4:30 am, when we packed our bags. Mom called the doctor, who recommended that we just hang out a bit and think about going to the hospital in a few hours. So we went to the grocery store to get some snacks, went to Carberry's bakery to pick up some muffins, and headed out to Mt. Auburn at about 10:30 am. With her contractions still regularly spaced at 5 minute intervals, mom had fun in the grocery store being the crazy pregnant lady having a baby in aisle five.


Labor was LOONG. By about 11:30 pm Sunday, Mom was almost dilated enough to be ready to push me out. The problem was that my heart rate was slowing way down each time she had a contraction. This went on for about an hour before our doctor decided that we needed to do an emergency C-section. Though this was a bit traumatic for everybody involved in the delivery, it turns out that it was a good idea - my umbilical cord was wrapped twice around my neck and once around my leg, and I wasn't getting enough blood during the contractions. So, thank you Dr. Hardiman! She's my hero. Here she is with me a couple of days after being born.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home